Monday, August 9, 2010

Mr. Smith and the human condition

Sleepless again.  I've spent two nights in a row not sleeping as well as I could.  The job (rather the S&#$heads I deal with) is on my mind.  For those who are fans of "The Matrix" agent Smith has a speech he makes to Morpheus.

"I'd like to share a revelation I had during my time here. It came to me when I tried to classify your species. I realized that you're not actually mammals. Every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with the surrounding environment but you humans do not. You move to an area and you multiply until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet. You are a plague, and we are the cure."

I find this to be a somewhat accurate statement.  It seems the worst of us with the worst mindsets and least moral fiber are reproducing the fastest.  Along with that is the spreading of the terrible habits.  We are doomed to consume ourselves in our own stupidity.

So many people that end up in the cross hairs of my profession are there because of bad decisions.  A great number of those decisions are made under the influence of some mind altering drug.  We as a society (The late great USA) seems to love getting "ripped".  Recently we dealt with a group of "youngins" who were obviously stoned out of their gourds.

Their behavior lead to being "harassed" by us.  I have seen it time and time again.  People make the argument that marijuana is no more dangerous than alcohol.  Well they just may be right.  I cannot argue the medical/ physiological aspects of that argument.  But I sure as hell see the behavioral side.  They are right.  Not any worse, just as bad......at impairing judgment.

Most people know of a person who is a violent drunk.  Alcohol reduces inhibitions and people act out.  Well guess what, same shit with the good 'ol Mary Jane. I have seen plenty of people high and act violent because they were "disrespected" or some stupid shit.  People have this misconception of the the high peace loving hippie when they think of marijuana.  It impairs judgment just the same as alcohol. 

I don't blame the drug itself.  Whether it is MJ, alcohol, cocaine, meth, or a freaking sugar high doesn't matter.  It is our seemingly insatiable appetite for an ""altered state" in this country that is the problem.  You add reduced judgment to a person who is bathed in the filth of a moraless existence an you have created a powder keg.  It spreads like a virus Mr. Smith.

To be clear, I feel it is a two part equation.  A morally decent person who loses inhibition and judgment may make a fool of themselves, or become a victim, but unlikely would they cause mayhem.  It is the corrupt culture that is adopted (gang life, party life, etc..)  along with the drugs that are the two parts.

Now this isn't just and inner city/ trailer park phenomenon.  So many kids theses day are influence by MTV and other Reality garbage and seem to think that is how we are supposed to act.  So many people of all ages these day are wrapped up in "feeling" good before doing good.  Self pleasure over self sacrifice.  The Bible states that the root of sin is selfishness.  Whether you are religious or not....there is a HELL of a lot of truth in that.

Mr. Smith just may be right about us.  So who amongst us will be Neo instead of null?!

No comments:

Post a Comment