Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Decks, wood floors are the working man's therapy

Our modern English interpretation of the bible says tat Jesus was a carpenter.  I have heard recently that the translation from the original Greek/Aramaic (can't remember which language they said it was) word more simply means hand worker or laborer.  This was apparently the common occupation for most men from that area and at that time.

In our modern day a lot of us aren't laborers.  We do not get to see immediate results from the fruits of our labor.  In my chosen profession it hard to see the results in any measurable manner day to day.  One day you just turn around and say "Holy Crap!  We stopped that problem." then there is a new one we are pushed towards.  Oh heck, a lot of time we say, "Shit that problem isn't going away."

I recently rebuilt my deck and am now installing woods floors.  I tend to be an anally retentive perfectionist when I do carpentry work.  That can lead to some frustration, but all together it is very rewarding to see something come together with your own hands and ability.  When it is finished you have a feeling of accomplishment that isn't matched by the passing moments at work or by winning the Superbowl in Madden 2011 or any other fantasy.

I do not claim any relation to Jesus.  I am a far cry from a holy man.  I think (opinion time) that we lose sight of some of the more simple things, more basic man hoods in our modern, cushy, comfy world.  Several people have said to me "That's what Mexicans are for" when I said I am building my deck and my floors.  Yeah the Mexicans around here work hard, though I don't think the people saying that meant it so nicely (Ya think).  If someone else builds it, then there is no pride or satisfaction on a job well done.  That alone is great therapy.  Besides, when did we become so damn lazy and lose our self sufficiency. 

 I have said for some time now that the extreme intelligence my father and grandpa (on dad's side) have definitely skipped a generation.  That would be me for those who don't follow my scatter shot sense of humor.  I work in a more "pedestrian" line of work than they did, and definitely love working with my hands.  I find it meditative and rewarding and definitely mentally engaging.  It is the therapy of a working man's mind.  Never have done well speaking with "therapists" kinda find them out of touch with reality... or at least my version of it.  No black helicopters or The Catcher in The Rye in my reality by the way.  Figure out that movie reference.  So I'll stick to hard labor as a therapy tool,  and some bleeding hearts call that cruel and unusual punishment for prisoners. 


No comments:

Post a Comment