I would love to retire in Blowing Rock or outside Asheville. I've hear my cop friends say" There are nothing but hippies there." SO!? I don't like Hippie liberal politics, they tend to skirt personal responsibility for criminals and lazy people but most of them are very interesting people and usually pretty non violent (except when a bunch get together in a protest).
More important the one thing I know is that Inner city "hardcore" thugs get scared in the woods and hate water. SO a cabin in the woods next to a lake. I had this experience once back in NJ. My friend had a sister from school who grew up in Newark. in such a place that people had bars on their windows. I took her and my sister for a ride in the woods in my old CJ7 and she was scared....very scared. I said, you like where you need bars on your windows but you are scared out here in the peace and quiet (except my jeep was thrashing through the woods)? Aren't there bears?
I'll take a bear over a human any day. The bear will attack for food, self defense, or sometime territory. People will attack for a pair of air Jordan's. IN the wild animals conserve there energy for the necessities. Would bother wasting it on Air Jordan's. People are stupid.
Back to the original thought. Mountains. God is out there people. In some shape or form. There is some great organizer to this universe. With the beauty like these mountains how can you argue with that fact. Mountains have held a place in mans hearts for eons. The Greek gods lived on the top of amountain (look it up...think camera company). Men keep going to the top of Everest every year even with the ability to board a plane and get higher.
I long to be in the mountains. I long to live simpler. Off the land more. Splitting wood as daily exercise. Unfortunately in our modern world, I need money to buy land to live that way. EVERYTHING is already owned. No homesteading possible unless I want to move to Alaska. I'm an Appalachian at heart. I grew up in the east. I like my rolling hills and 4 seasons ( I think Alaska has only two: frozen and thawed). I'm not sure I;d convince Beth to live that way either. So I will take my trips and I will look will look for that affordable dream retirement pad. I will always be drawn to the mountains.

Hudson River Valley outside West Point NY

Delaware Water Gap NJ

Mt. Haleakala Maui

Boone, NC
Blue Ridge Parkway

No comments:
Post a Comment